Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Visa ApplicationVisa Applications

Some participants may need a visa to enter the UK. Normally this is arranged by the regional oilfield client office and Kingsway together (for example your Moscow office arranges visas for all Russian nationals and Kingsway sends the visa letter directly to the visa department at the company headquarters in Moscow). To check if you need a visa to enter the UK visit the UK Government web site :

The visa application process

You should apply online at and make sure that you choose Purpose of Application SPECIAL VISITOR. Then you should choose the Type of Application as STUDENT VISITOR, UP TO 6 MONTHS.

Apply for your UK visa

Please do NOT apply for a visa under Tier 4. These visas are for longer term students and are known as General Student Visas. Very similar name, very different process!  Don't go there!

The British Embassy will want to be sure that :

  • You have a genuine reason / need to go to the UK to study (for example you need English for your job and that there are no local English schools that could serve your needs better)
  • You have the money to support yourself, or someone else will be paying for your tuition, living and medical expenses (employment with an established oil or oil service company is usually enough proof)
  • You have booked with, and been accepted by, an accredited English school in the UK (a letter from Kingsway confirms this)
  • You will leave the UK at the end of your studies (a letter from the employer company will support this)

If you don’t need a visa to enter the UK

We will still send a written confirmation letter to you. You should bring this with you to show the immigration department on arrival in the UK if they ask you.


If you have any problems with the immigration officer when you arrive in the UK please tell them that a Kingsway driver is at the airport to meet you. They may want to speak to the driver, or ask them to call the Kingsway number 01905-619877. They can call at any time of the day or night, 7 days a week. Immigration problems on arrival are very rare, and when they do arise the immigration officer usually just needs verification of the course booking.

Main Menu